Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Any Day Can Be A Perfect Day


I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty obsessive about my To Do list. Like, yeah, I enjoy making lists and crossing stuff off and whatnot, but if I don't FINISH my list...I get cranky. I get mad. The more productive I am, the more fulfilled and happy I am. The less productive I am, the more angry and down on myself I am.

I know that I can't do everything, all the time. I know that sometimes things come up, or something takes longer than I'd anticipated, or I'm just feeling blah and don't want to get to certain things on my list that day. I know it's not always in my control. But still. Not completing The List can turn a relatively good day into a bad day.

Especially when it comes to writing.

If I don't make my writing goals, I'm instantly in a bad mood.

But the thing is...that kind of ruins everything else for the day. Obviously, I try as hard as I can to reach my goals and complete my List, but if I know something isn't going to get done, being in a bad mood the rest of the day won't fix it. It only steals the good moments and turns them rotten.

It's hard for me to let some stuff go, to not complete EVERYTHING that I set for myself to do. But it happens. And I'm learning that it doesn't have to ruin everything else. In fact, whether everything gets done on my To Do list or not, it can still be a wonderful day. A lot of it is about mindset and stealing those perfect moments--finding them and holding onto them, and not letting guilt or anything else get in the way.

So today, this ordinary Tuesday, is going to be a good day. Maybe you have work, or chores, or word count goals, or other responsibilities. Let's try our best to get it all done, but if something slips through the cracks, it will still be a good day. Today I'll savor my coffee, enjoy the warm weather, spend time with my husband,  and re-read The Hunger Games (Oh yes, I'm preparing for this weekend!). And I won't feel guilty about letting myself enjoy these things if I don't get everything done. Like the quote says, today is a perfect day for a perfect day.

I'm determined to enjoy it. :)

Do you ever get down on yourself for not completing everything you want to get done?  What are you going to let yourself enjoy today, no matter what?

20 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a list person. I go about my day know there are things I need to do and hoping they will get done. ;0) I do create book lists sometimes and cross of things I need to get done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my lists, but sometimes I wish I could do what you do! I feel kind of disoriented without one, though :)

      Delete
  2. Good for you. Here's to positive thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much of a list person either but I do plan on getting through a crazy amount of writing today. Hopefully it happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looove lists. I have been known to add things to my list that I've already completed just so that I have something to cross off. So satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL--I should do that so I don't feel like such a failure when I have too much stuff on there. Yes, crossing stuff of is SO satisfying!

      Delete
  5. I don't do lists.. BUT I do tend to get really grouchy when I'm not getting enough writing done.

    BUT today? I'm not even bothered by my lack of writing because today is all about rereading THE HUNGER GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS! It's so fun reading it the second time around. Suzanne Collins is a genius.

      Delete
  6. Yay! I'm looking forward to The Hunger Games, too! I wonder if I subconsciously chose this weekend off on purpose...

    And, I completely understand what you mean about to-do lists. There's something so satisfying about checking something off on a list! It's good to be productive, but there's also a time to rest. Which is why I cut myself some slack when it's time to relax!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for the movie! You definitely subconsciously chose this weekend off on purpose...haha :) I think my problem is that I don't designate an actual time to rest, so I'm constantly going and then getting burned out and resting during that time but then feeling guilty about it. I'll have to learn to do what you do and cut myself some slack for relaxing time.

      Delete
  7. Hunger Games is the hot topic these days, so I will definitely have to check it out.

    As for having a perfect day, I believe we make a choice to have or not have one. While I don't remember where I heard it, there's a saying that goes, 'There's no such thing as trying, you either do or you don't.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, The Hunger Games books are awesome!

      I agree with you on perfect days being a choice. And I love that quote! So true. I kind of want to write that on a post-it note and stick it on my desk :)

      Nice to meet you!

      Delete
  8. I have a list in my fridge I still need to finish marking off. And at some point this summer(probably between final edits for Book 1 and the first draft for Book 2) I need to get all my art projects squared away. The darn things are multiplying, I swear. >_>

    I have to say though....today was one of those perfect days. I spent the day with friends I hadn't seen in forever, got a chance to enjoy the amazing good weather we have going on over here, and I'm working on chapter 28 once more with some concrete facts that were exactly what I needed to fix my latest knot.

    I didn't get any laundry done and barely any cleaning, but who cares. Positive thinking is definitely the way to go. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, that sounds like a wonderful day! Those low key days are the best. Laundry and cleaning are always at the bottom of my list, and definitely the first to get cut completely, LOL. :)

      Delete
  9. I am so with you! When I don't set goes I tend to wander. My goals keep me grounded and push me to do better (I often try to exceed them. Yeah, I'm an overachiever). Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could exceed my goals! That's one of the best feelings, when you get done MORE than what you needed to accomplish. Would it be cheating if I lowered the bar on my daily goals so I could feel more accomplished? Haha.

      Delete
  10. I usually just don't set hard goals, and then I'm pleasantly surprised when I surpass the goals I didn't set.

    ReplyDelete