Tuesday, January 17, 2012

In Which I Discuss 'The Climb'

So, it's 1:42am on January 17th. I guess this means I'm officially 24.

24?!

Oh. Mah. Gah.

Okay, I guess it's not that old. It's just...I can't say I'm in my "early" twenties anymore. This is really approaching mid-twenties status. And you know what comes after that? Late twenties. And then? No more twenties. And there are THINGS I want to do before I run out of twenties, you know? I have vision for the future.

I mean, you can make things happen at any age, of course, but sometimes I see published authors who are about my age, or authors with X number of published books already and I think, "Why didn't I start to take writing seriously when I was younger?" And I get kind of jealous. I'm jealous because THEY have accomplished or will accomplish something at such and such age, and I'm still at this stage of the process and it's going to take forever and they're so much more talented and I'm going to be such and such age before anything happens and! and! and!

And really, it doesn't matter.

I'm tired of being jealous. I'm tired of comparing my non-existent writing career with established authors or authors with book deals or agented authors. I might have said this before, but the feeling that I get where everyone is on this happy writer's train and I'm standing in a field watching it go by? Doesn't matter. Because there's a whole schedule of trains. I might not be on the same train as some writers, but I'll catch another one later. Every author has started where I am right now, and right now I'm enjoying the view.

Well, I'm trying to enjoy the view. Really, I am. But it's something I have to constantly remind myself to do. And I have to say, the community of writers online is truly helping with this. I don't feel so alone in the process, and that makes all the difference. So thanks, writer friends, for being so awesome. I'm excited for what I'll do this year writing-wise, and I'm excited for you guys, too. I want to spend this year not thinking about all that I haven't accomplished but all that I've learned so far, and using it to push myself forward.

You know that song "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus (it's from Hannah Montana the movie which, I have to admit, I loved!)? Well, I know it's so cheesy, but it seriously reminds me of this whole writing thing. If you've never heard the song, look it up, or at least look up the lyrics. Again, you'll probably think it's cheesy but REALLY, it's so good! Okay fine, now I have to post a snippet of the lyrics. Here's the chorus:

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be an uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb

Right?!

Anyway.

If you don't mind me, I'm going to read a bit and then go to bed, and when I wake up tomorrow for my first full day of being a 24-year-old, I will make myself some coffee and write :)

2 comments:

  1. 24? Hah! Quit yer beefin', whippersnapper!

    Seriously, happy birthday, Amanda. I remember a friend of mine who got seriously bummed out when he turned 25, because it's one of those numbers, and he felt behind. Anyway, your advice to yourself (and the rest of us) is spot on. It doesn't do you any good to get all worked up about the people who are ahead of you. To borrow a line from a Disney movie, 'Just keep swimming'.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!! but seriously, I'll put it into perspective for you... I'll be 37 this year!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone was about to miss the train it would be my ancient self! LOL

    When I first started writing seriously (uh, last year) I used to have the same thoughts.. wishing I had started in my early 20's, and oh I've wasted so much time.. but you know what, all those years that I wasn't writing, I was living, and oh have I lived and all of those experiences will make me a better storyteller..

    also, getting older rocks.. it's way better than the alternative ;)

    ReplyDelete