Tuesday, June 19, 2012

WIP Update

Hi friends!

Is it just me, or is the blogging community kind of quiet lately? I mean, I know I'VE been quiet lately, so maybe it is just me. Or maybe everyone else is going on vacation/busy with summer things too, I don't know.

Anyway.

I have made myself a new deadline for finishing my WIP: Tuesday, July 24th. Why such a random day, you ask? Because I'm going on vacation on the 25th, and I'd really, really like to get the draft done before then. Really. That's assuming the final word count of the first draft will be around 80k. So who knows, but that's the goal. And I'm SO EXCITED to get this thing done with. It's like the neverending draft. And it's tried to murder me more than a few times (it's still making attempts when I'm not looking), so it'd be cool to wrangle it into submission sometime soon. And then I can add a "What I'm Working On" tab to the blog and be all official and stuff, because for some reason I won't allow myself to do that until the draft is complete. Because I'm weird like that.

I've also decided that I'm going to have a totally different approach to my next project. I'm going to...

wait for it...

wait for it...

OUTLINE.

Yes, outline. Serious, hardcore outlining. Because I haven't tried it yet, and I want to see if I work better that way or worse, or if it doesn't make a difference at all. I'm pumped!

But first I need to finish this WIP and stuff.

Do you guys have any goals for your WIPs? What are they? How are they coming along?

12 comments:

  1. I thought it was just me! Yes, to me the blogosphere does seem pretty quiet recently. It's been strange. I myself have had exams and such, so maybe a lot of younger bloggers like me are in the same position.

    I wish you luck with finishing your WIP! I think it's good to set yourself a deadline, because it makes you more determined to finish and less likely to procrastinate. Good luck with hardcore outlining too. It's good to try new methods of planning and such; you might find that you really like it and use it in the future.

    At the moment I want to get everything else out the way, which should be done by the end of this week. Then I'll get back to writing and editing, which has been on the back-burner for far too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, at least it's not just me!

      Thanks for the good luck wishes, I need it to finish this thing :D I think outlining will be good for me. We shall see.

      Good luck with your exams! At least you'll be able to focus on writing again soon :)

      Delete
  2. I think I need a deadline, otherwise I know I'm going to put off these revisions forever. And then you can hold me accountable, lol.

    Yay outlines! Let me know what you think and if it helped at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel about the 'what I'm working on' tab, I'm pretty superstitious about putting 'The End' or '###' at the end of my WiPs, just because. Great to have goals-- stick with it! Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...I don't think I'd write 'The End' at the end of my WiP either, now that I think of it :) Thanks for the encouragement, I need it!

      Delete
  4. Yay for outlines! I've tried that. Got to the first bullet point and realized I didn't follow any of them, so I nixed that. I hope it works for you!

    I'm going on vaca soon too! So the plan is to get projects in a good place so that I don't have to think about them TOO much while I'm gone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha...I'm wondering if that will happen to me, too. But I really hope it doesn't. I have high hopes for outlining!

      Where are you going on vacation?! I think vacations are awesome motivators for getting stuff together. :D

      Delete
  5. Vacation is driving me too. Kelley leaves soon and I get to work on my stuff then I leave and she works on her stuff. So we are kinda working around the vaca. Oh and you can ask Kelley but I kinda sorta do an outline. I think I might have freaked her panster self out when I emailed her this long list of where I saw our project going. LOL. But I don't always stick to what I come up with. So good luck on the outline. It works wonders for people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, poor Kelley! Maybe some structure is good :) I really hope outlining ends up helping. I figure it's worth a try. Yay for vacations!

      Delete
  6. I'm blaming the quiet on summer...
    Good luck on completing your draft! I'm attempting to revise the first draft of a YA novel - I had planned on completing one chapter a day, but so far this week I haven't looked at it at all :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your WIP! I haven't picked a date like you have but I'm thinking I just might. Right now my goal is just to get 2000 words a day (Mon-Sat) in and I'm hoping that I'll be finished with my WIP sometime in August that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my Gosh, Amanda! That's so SOON!

    Keep your eye on the prize, babe. Just keep thinking of how you could take that draft with you on vacay and read it like a real book! AMAZING.

    (And yeah, I think it has been quiet. Not just you! ^_^)

    ReplyDelete