Monday, February 27, 2012

What's Next?

First, I just want to mention the new blog look so you all don't think you're going crazy :) It's a significant change from the last look, but I like it much better. It's more "me".

So, now that I'm making some nice headway in the New Novel, I'm thinking about what I want to write after it's finished. It's a standalone, so there are no sequels I need to worry about. But that does give me a new kind of worry: what will I write next? I have tiny, baby snippets of ideas that could be cool if I take the time to flesh them out. I know one idea, another standalone, I'll probably visit some time in the future for sure. But lately I've been thinking about my first novel. The one I set down a few months ago to start working on the New Novel.

The problem is that it needs SO. MUCH. WORK. And I know that since I've already written the draft it should be "easy" to fix it up, but it basically needs to be completely rewritten. And there's a world within it that I didn't really explore in the first draft that I think I'll need to flesh out. I'll need to dig deep into a lot of things I just skimmed the surface on in the draft and...honestly...it's intimidating. Can I pull it off the way I think it needs to be done? Can I do it justice?

The more I think about it, the more I want to start working on it again. When I stopped working on it to let it "sit", I honestly wasn't sure if I'd ever go back to it or not. I thought that maybe it was just meant to teach me how to write a book, to show me that I could, but not meant to actually *be* a book. Well, the way it looks now, it should never, ever be a book. But it could be if I worked on it. Um, A LOT.

Have you ever felt intimidated by your own ideas? If so, did you write them anyway, or let them "stew" for a while, or move onto something else? How do you decide what you want to work on next? Luckily, I still have a few months before I even finish New Novel, so I have time to think about it :)

12 comments:

  1. I like the new look :)

    If when you are done with New Novel, the first one is still calling your name, then is say do it! I think it's good to let things sit and simmer for a while... when you go back to it, you'll be able look at it with fresh eyes and see the problem areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think it was a good choice to let that story sit for a while. It needed/still needs it. I hope that once New Novel is done I'll know for sure what I want to do.

      Delete
  2. Love the new look. ;)

    I get intimidated by ideas all the time. Sometimes so much that I don't start writing my idea for a long time. I don't know why new ideas freak me out so much. And not every idea does this, just a few. But once I write them, they turn out to be my best ideas I've had. I say go with it and see what happens.

    As far as letting your first novel sit, it's good not to look at it for a while. I usually think of ways to make it even better while it sits and waits to be read again. Then when you open the document up again, you'll have at least an idea of where to start. I know you can make it shine. You just have to believe in yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not every idea does this to me either! So weird. I kind of do want to just go with it though, even though it scares me. I definitely want to start thinking about how to fix it while it's sitting, so like you said, when I open it up again I'll have an idea of what I'll be doing. Thanks for the encouragement :)

      Delete
  3. I wonder if the thing you need to do with the first novel is just rewrite using the IDEAS but without referencing the original at all. Otherwise you might feel hamstrung or bound to the original, which maybe isn't quite right, you know? Something to think about.

    I like the new look, btw. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, this is exactly what I've been thinking. Starting totally from scratch. I remember when I first started revising it I did feel bound to the original while trying to change it, so...rewriting might be the only way to go :(

      Delete
  4. I totes agree with Christina. If you can't stop thinking about the first novel, then go forth and re-write. If you're more fascinated with other ideas, then do them. I think it's really up to you what you want your first novel to be. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'll have to see what I'm thinking after I finish this novel! I do eventually want to rewrite the old one, so, we'll see :)

      Delete
  5. Hi, new follower here. :) I have gotten intimidated by my ideas before, and yes, I've given them space. Then, I either go back to it with a better perspective, or else I dream up an even better idea and write that instead. Good luck with your writing! You'll work something out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Shelley! Nice to meet you :) I'm hoping one of those two things you mentioned happens: either I'll go back with a better perspective or think of a better idea. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  6. It's probably different with every new experience. I have let ideas 'stew' for a while and have had success with that. Rather than just vomiting on the page. My first draft seems more put together when I've let something sit in my brain for a few weeks/months.

    I allow myself to stew about my next novel while I'm working on revisions for my current novel...but I'm not going to start it until I'm done with this one.

    You have to do what feels right to you! Also, love the new blog look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think some ideas do need to stew for a while. I've only been letting this novel sit since December, and since then I haven't really even thought about it because I've been working on the new novel. I suppose I'll need to take some time to really think about the old novel and what changes should be made :)

      Delete